You've got questions, and we have answers!

Course Registration & Schedule Builder

  • How do I build my Fall schedule?
  • 1.  Complete Aggie 101
    2.  Complete Aggie Advising. Transfer students meet with a major advisor. Freshmen meet with a college advisor.
    3.  Utilize your online resources. Carefully read about your GE requirements, major requirements, and sample schedules. 
    → College of Letters & Science Resources
    → Major Resources: New Students and Major Requirements (see next question)
  • How does my coursework transfer to UC Davis and to my major?
  • Your transfer credit takes time to process, and you may not see your transfer credit in OASIS until August. Admissions will determine what courses transfer and how many total units will transfer. For some courses, Admissions will also determine the direct equivalency to UC Davis courses. However, you may have coursework that will require additional steps to determine whether they can satisfy major/minor requirements.  

    Our transfer credit page explains important steps for getting your transfer credit reviewed for major credit. 
  • I keep getting errors when trying to register. Help!
  • Registration errors may occur because you have exceeded the maximum units, have not taken the pre-requisite course, or encountered one of the following course restrictions. 

    Student Level Restriction: These courses are reserved for students belonging to a certain level (e.g. undergraduate and graduate). Most of these restrictions are removed in Pass Two registration.
    College Restriction: These courses are reserved for students declared in a major belonging to a certain college (e.g. College of Ag and College of Biological Sciences). Most of these restrictions are removed in Pass Two registration.
    Major Restriction: These courses are reserved for students declared in a certain major(s). Most of these restrictions are removed in Pass Two registration.
    Class-Level Restriction: These courses are reserved for students belonging to a certain class-level (e.g. juniors and seniors). Most of these restrictions are removed in Pass Two registration.
    Duplicate Course, Section, Equivalent, or Crosslist: You may not enroll in more than one section of a course or a course equivalent, including cross-listed courses.
    Time Conflict: You may not enroll in two courses scheduled at the same time. Occasionally, two courses with unique meeting times will have conflicting times for the final exam.
  • I completed the prerequisite, but Schedule Builder it saying I don't have it! 
  • There are several possible reasons you are encountering this issue:
    1.  Your Pass One occurred before Admissions finished their review of your transfer credit
    2.  Your previous institution is not a California Community College
    3.  ASSIST is missing updated agreements with UC Davis 
    4.  You completed a lower division course, and the prerequisite is an upper division course
    5.  Your score on an AP or IB exam is insufficient

    For reasons 1–3, Schedule Builder may not recognize that you have completed the prerequisite courses for a course. In these cases, if you think you have completed ALL prerequisites for the course, complete the Prerequisite Petition that appears in Schedule Builder.

    If a course's prerequiste(s) is upper division (100–199), and you completed a similar course at the community college, it will not satisfy the prerequisite. This is because all courses from community colleges transfer as lower division (001–099). In this case, you must complete the prerequisite course at UC Davis.

    In the case of insufficient AP or IB scores, it is unlikely that Schedule Builder is incorrect. Check the AP/IB charts, because UC Davis may require a higher score than your previous institution. If you have, in fact, earned a sufficient score, then it is possible the University has not received or processed your official test scores. In this case, please contact Admissions.
  • How do Pass Times work?
  • Pass One
    ♦   Your first opportunity to register for the upcoming quarter
    ♦   After your Pass One appointment ends, you have limited access to make changes to your schedule
    ♦   Many course restrictions are active 
    ♦   You are limited to 17 units maximum

    Pass Two
    ♦   Waitlists open
    ♦   Many course restrictions end
    ♦   The maximum unit threshold raises to 19 units
  • How do waitlists work?
  • Waitlists open in Pass Two. In Schedule Builder, when you add a course that has 0 seats, you will be added to the waitlist. When you are on a course's waitlist, you are NOT registered for the course. The waitlist is an ordered list of students who will be added to the course when registered students drop the course. When you become #1 on the waitlist and a registered student drops the course, you will automatically be registered for the open seat.

    If you are still on the waitlist for a course after the quarter begins, your chances of enrollment decrease every day. It is crucial that you are fully registered for at least 12 units by the first day of classes.  
  • Everything I want to take is full! What should I register for?
  • Consider these options:
    ♦   Courses that help you explore a minor
    ♦   Courses that prepare your for your career interests (e.g. pre-health STEM courses, pre-credential education courses)
    ♦   Courses, in any discipline, that interest you (here are some upper division suggestions)
    ♦   First-Year Seminar or First-Year Aggie Connection
    ♦   GE writing or other GE requirements

    The truth about seat availability in Schedule Builder:
    ♦   Maximum seats in Schedule Builder can change. Some courses have deferred seat release; for example, in July, a popular course has 100 maximum seats and 0 open seats, but in August, it increases to 200 maximum seats, creating 100 open seats. Most departments do not know which courses will be increased or when they will be increased, so check your desired courses again the day before your pass time.
    ♦   During Pass Two, many continuing students modify their schedule, meaning that seats in full classes may open up. 
    ♦   Many seats were already full before you were even admitted, because continuing student have been registering since May. Know that your Pass One appointment time will get better and better with each quarter.

    The truth about taking elective courses:
    ♦   Most students will need to take units outside of their major in order to graduate. This is true for transfer students, too! Consider the math of completing your degree:
         → Most transfer students enter with approximately 100 quarter units
         → Most transfer students need 35 to 60 units for their major
         → Most transfer students need at least one GE course (4 units), if not more
         100 + (35 to 60) + 4 = 139 to 164
         → All required coursework for major and GE, combined with existing transfer credit, usually totals 139 to 164 units
         → All students need at least 180 total units to graduate from UC Davis
         180 - (139 to 164) = 16 to 41
         = 16 to 41 units of elective (not for major or GE; note that some electives must be upper division, but usually not all of them)

    ♦   This is why we encourage you to take non-major elective courses...because you need those extra units to graduate! It's okay that many courses are already full in Schedule Builder; it means that you must be flexible and be willing to try new subjects and topics.


General Questions

  • Will Fall 2020 courses be online or on campus?
  • Our departments are preparing for the likelihood that safety and health concerns will necessitate us offering our classes remotely in Fall 2020. The situation is constantly evolving. Please check your UC Davis email regularly so you stay informed of important updates. Find more information at www.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus.
  • What is an A.B. Degree? Is it the same as a B.A.?
  • A.B. is the abbreviation of Artium Baccalaureus, the Latin form of Bachelor of Arts. At UC Davis, you will hear A.B. and B.A. used interchangeably. Formally, your diploma will read "Bachelor of Arts."
  • Where can I learn about my major requirements?
  • Your major requirements can be found online in a few ways:
    ♦   Major Worksheets on our website
    ♦   Degree Worksheets tab in OASIS
    ♦   University Catalog
  • I applied for a Bachelor of Arts major, but I was admitted into a Bachelor of Science major!  How do I fix that? 
  • All Psychology and Cognitive Science students enter with a B.S. emphasis by default. Switching to the A.B. emphasis is easy! Once you begin at UCD, you can use the Change of Major form in OASIS (under the Forms & Petitions tab) to switch your degree type from B.S. to A.B. 
  • I already know I want to switch into a different major entirely. How can I do that?
  • 1.  Some majors require certain prerequisite courses be completed before you can enter the major, check the major department's website for that information.
    2.  After you have completed your first quarter at UCD, use the Change of Major form in OASIS (under the Forms & Petitions tab) to officially change your major.
  • What is the difference between major advisors and college advisors (i.e. College of Letters & Science advisors)?
  • Going to both major and college advising is essential to your academic success. However, since the advisors in either department have different roles, it’s important to understand which advising center can best assist you based on your questions and goals.
    Major advisors can assist you with creating academic plans, understanding major requirements, discussing your educational and career goals, preparing for grad school, and learning about field-related opportunities. We also assist students with registration, course selection, and adding courses with a PTA.
    College advisors can assist you with understanding GE and IGETC requirements and other non-major degree requirements. They also advise on academic probation and minimum progress, Pass/No Pass grading restrictions, and dropping courses with a PTD
  • Where can I learn about minors? Will I be able to complete a minor?
  • It's reasonable to expect that you will have the flexibility in your degree requirements to fit a minor. We encourage you to explore the minors at UCD and discuss your ideas with a major advisor or a minor advisor. Find contact info for a minor on the website for the department offering the minor. 

    Once you have decided to declare a minor and have completed the courses required to declare it, you may declare it by using the Minor Declaration form in OASIS (under the Forms & Petitions tab). 
  • I want to double major. How does that work?
  • Many majors leave the flexibility for a double major; however, there are some factors that make double majors complex, which is why you must plan carefully.

    It's best to discuss your ideas about a double major with a major advisor. Together, you can discuss the merits of double majoring, in relation to your career goals, and the impact that a double major might have on your estimated graduation date. 


Psychology & Cognitive Science

  • I plan to go to graduate school. Will I be more competitive for graduate school if I choose a B.S. emphasis?
  • It makes little to no difference whether you choose A.B. or B.S. As long as you take the necessary prerequisite courses for the grad programs that interest you, an A.B. is usually sufficient if you'd rather not choose a B.S. emphasis.

    You should plan courses and co-curricular activities that prepare you for graduate school, no matter what your major is. This strategy will shape you into a better grad school candidate than completing a B.S. major alone.

    For Psychology majors, you may find that for some health programs, like medical school, you can efficiently complete pre-health requirements by choosing the PSC-Biological emphasis. 
  • How do I get involved with research?
  • 1.  Explore labs
    All psychology labs
    → Sort labs by faculty research interests (select a filter on left menu); this helps to identify Cognitive Science-related labs

    2.  Seek open lab positions to identify opportunities to apply 
    → Ask your instructor if they are hiring in their lab
    → Read the advising newsletters; they sometimes announce open positions
    → Check out our lab advertisements

    3.  Prepare and apply! Or make your interest known
    → Some labs have a formal application process, while others invite you to express your interest via email. Either way, before this step, we strongly recommend that you read the most recent articles published by the lab(s), so you can connect your experience and interest with the work being done in the lab. Most lab websites include a list of publications. 

    Students may pursue lab/research opportunities outside of their major department. Every academic discipline at UCD engages in research! Psychology and Cognitive Science student have worked for labs in Human Development, Linguistics, Communication, Philosophy, Computer Science, Biological Science, and the Medical Center, to name a few.

    You should also check out the programs in the Undergraduate Research Center!  



  • How do I get involved with research?
  • Explore research opportunities in these ways:
    → Ask your instructor(s) if you can do a research project with them
    → Read the advising newsletters; they sometimes announce research opportunities
    → Reach out to your major faculty advisor, Dr. Jan Szaif, to ask about how to get started

    You should also check out the programs in the Undergraduate Research Center!  


Science & Technology Studies

  • How do I get involved with research?
  • Explore research opportunities in these ways:
    → Ask your instructor(s) if you can do a research project with them
    → Read the advising newsletters; they sometimes announce research opportunities
    → Reach out to your major faculty to ask about how to get started, Dr. Gerardo Con Diaz (faculty advisor) and/or Dr. Colin Milburn (program director)

    You should also check out the programs in the Undergraduate Research Center!