Permission to Add (PTA) Numbers

We always do our best to provide as many seats in PSC, PHI, STS, and CGS courses as we can, and can sometimes increase the maximum capacity of courses with large waitlists (depending on classroom size and TA/instructor resources). If you are trying to get into a course that is currently full, the best option is to waitlist and find a backup class in case you are not able to get in. If expansion is not possible, your only way to get off of the waitlist is if enrolled students drop the course.

Before the 12th day of instruction, we will only issue PTAs to students in the following situations:
  • You are experiencing an extenuating circumstance that will delay graduation, and meet all the following requirements:
    • You are a graduating senior
    • You meet all the prerequisites
    • You must take this specific course this quarter (and there are no alternative available options) otherwise your graduation will be delayed. 
    • You must provide email documentation from your academic advisor confirming you have no other options and must take this course now to graduate on time. 
    • Note: Even if documentation is provided, the department may still deny the PTA request if the course cannot accommodate additional students.
  • You were dropped from the course due to non-payment. 
  • You were dropped from the course due to an administrative (University) error. 
  • Your prerequisite petition was denied, but you have proof of meeting the prerequisites.
  • You have a time conflict with another class and the instructor of the class you would be missing part of approves it (e.g. one of the courses is asynchronous), and there are seats available in the course in Schedule Builder.

Documentation of the situations above will be required. Please note that students who attempt to mislead their instructors and/or department staff about their situation in attempts to justify the need for a PTA may be referred to Student Judicial Affairs.

After the 12th day of instruction, a PTA may also be issued in the following in the following situations:
  • If all of the following are true:
    • You meet all the prerequisites
    • There are seats in the course in Schedule Builder (or sufficient room on exam days based on how many students will be taking the exam in an alternative location)
    • Your instructor has approved your PTA request
    • Department staff have verified all of the above, and there are no additional constraints
    • You must also have a backup class so that you are registered for at least 12 units in case a PTA cannot be issued.
  • If you are adding a variable unit or thesis course (e.g. 198, 199, 194).
PTAs will NOT be issued in the following situations:
  • Classes dropped accidentally (unless it's after the 12th day of instruction and there are seats available in Schedule Builder)
  • Circumventing course registration restrictions (e.g. Pass 1 registration restricted to declared PSC majors)
  • Time conflicts with another class (unless one of the courses is asynchronous, the instructor has consented, and there is no one on the waitlist)
  • Missing Pass 1 or Pass 2 registration
  • Prerequisites haven’t been satisfied (submit a prerequisite petition in Schedule Builder instead)
  • Completing a minor
  • Completing a major (if there are other opportunities to take the course and it does not delay graduation beyond usual graduation timeline)
  • To maintain full time status
  • To meet minimum progress requirement
  • It is your 3rd attempt of the course (go to OASIS > Forms & Petitions > Multiple Repeat of a Course instead)
  • The Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs (OSSJA) has advised against issuing a PTA.

Please request PTAs by the 10th day of instruction, if possible. You will notified via your UC Davis email address about approval or denial. PTA requests submitted before the 10th day of instruction will be processed and you will be sent a notification via email on the 12th day of instruction. (Or the 5th day of instruction for Summer Sessions.) PTA requests submitted after this point will be reviewed and processed on an ongoing basis.

Request a PTA 

Other Add/Drop Resources

Request a PTA number for a different course (e.g. HDE course or NPB course) from the advising office for the department offering the course

Request a Petition to Drop (PTD) Number from your college advising office

Request a late action (add, drop, grade mode) with a Course Change Form

Request a retroactive action (add, drop, grade mode) with a Retroactive Change Petition