We always do our best to provide as many seats in PSC, PHI, STS, and CGS courses as we can, and can sometimes increase the maximum capacity of courses with large waitlists (depending on classroom size and TA/instructor resources). If you are trying to get into a course that is currently full, the best option is to waitlist and also find a backup class in case you are not able to get in. Your instructor will keep you informed about any developments related to enrollment. If expansion is not possible, your only way to get off of the waitlist is if enrolled students drop the course.
We will only issue PTAs to students in the following situations:
- You are a graduating student, meet all the prerequisites, and must take this specific PSC/CGS/PHI/STS course this quarter (and there are no alternative available options) otherwise your graduation will be delayed. You must provide email documentation from your academic advisor confirming you have no other options and must take this course now to graduate on time. Even if documentation is provided, the department may still deny the PTA request if the course cannot accommodate additional students.
- You were dropped from the course due to non-payment.
- You were dropped from the course due to an administrative (University) error.
- You meet all the prerequisites, there is room in the course, it is after the 12th day of instruction, and your instructor has approved your PTA request (e.g. you are adding a 199 or 194 later in the quarter).
- Your pre-requisite petition was denied, but you have proof of meeting the pre-requisites.
Documentation of the situations above will be required. Please note that students who attempt to mislead their instructors and/or department staff about their situation in attempts to justify the need for a PTA may be referred to Student Judicial Affairs.
Please request PTAs by the 10th day of instruction, if possible. If approved, PTAs will be issued via email on the 12th day of instruction. (Or the 5th day of instruction for Summer Sessions.)
PTAs will NOT be issued in the following situations:
- Classes dropped accidentally
- Circumventing course registration restrictions (e.g. Pass 1 registration restricted to declared PSC majors)
- Time conflicts with another class (unless one of the courses is asynchronous, there is room in the course, and the instructor has consented)
- Missing Pass 1 or Pass 2 registration
- Prerequisites haven’t been satisfied (submit a prerequisite petition in Schedule Builder instead)
- Completing a minor
- Completing a major (if there are other opportunities to take the course and it does not delay graduation beyond usual graduation timeline)
- To maintain full time status
- To meet minimum progress requirement
- It is your 3rd attempt of the course (go to OASIS > Forms & Petitions > Multiple Repeat of a Course instead)
Other Add/Drop Resources
Request a PTA number for a different course (e.g. HDE course or NPB course) from the advising office for the department offering the course
Request a Petition to Drop (PTD) Number from your college advising office
Request a late action (add, drop, grade mode) with a Course Change Form
Request a retroactive action (add, drop, grade mode) with a Retroactive Change Petition